View Single Post
Old 05-25-15, 03:09 PM   #40
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
I'm reading Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang now and O'Kane talks about some musician visiting Midway for a USO tour. Maybe something like that, or celebrity gossip?

For example:

1942 - Comedian Joe E. Brown entertains troop at bases in Alaska and the Aleutians.

1942 - Actress Carole Lombard, wife of actor Clark Gable, dies at the age of 33 in an aircraft crash on Mount Potosi, Nevada while returning from a War Bond tour.

1943 - Actress/Pinup Betty Grable marries trumpeter Harry James.

I'll start compiling a list with exact dates if it sounds like a good idea.
That would be something nice to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
About the radio messages, maybe radio messages could be added concerning enemy attack/capture of ports/towns. It seems we get no inkling of when this happens, beyond the color changing on the map. In fact, any war news or reports would be good.
There is some of that in the messages.txt file already. I don't think more would be a problem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
Wow, they actually have a day-by-reports for the entire war!

For example, June 1942 http://www.ww2pacific.com/42june.html
Only problem with those is they're written for current times. A lot of that info wasn't known at the time it happened, or even until well after the war. So it wouldn't be accurate without some editing and other research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
That would be great if you have the time!
Sure. I might start this week in fact.

Quote:
I think this may be able to be done. I've not looked into the specific Harbor files yet, but if I'm going to make a pre war start.....Pearl is going to have a "face lift" regarding its Harbor look and make-up of assets positioned there. And, if my plan is to have the Pearl Harbor Attack Mission, there will definitively be some changes done.

However, you should note, the damage done to Battle Ship Row was never completely cleaned up. Especially during the war. The Oklahoma is the BB capsized during the attack. She wasn't righted until November 1943, yet never used for the remainder of the war. I don't know where they put her, but it wasn't until 1947 did the Navy think they could tow her back to the mainland. It was during that tow she capsized again and sunk...this time for good. Of course the Arizona was never moved. So, to remove all the damaged ships in Pearl would not be the thing to do.

The more I think about it, especially on this Memorial Day, I'm likely to leave the Harbor just as it is after December 7th.
Agree completely.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote