View Single Post
Old 05-23-15, 03:16 PM   #808
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

May 23:

Quote:
"Turned out soon after five this morning and went up for an hour and a half waiting for Taubes. I chased several Allied machines, but found nothing hostile. had not been down twenty minutes before one came out. Later on in the morning two came right over the aerodrome. I went up in pursuit, but got nowhere near them. Things are pretty lively on the whole. Besides the regular artillery, there is an intermittent cannonade of anti-aircraft guns, either from us at the Taubes or from the Huns at us. The sky becoes absolutley dotted with little puffs of shrapnel, which are visible for half an hour at least.

This evening I went into the town. It's full of life, a band playing and all the shops open.

Babington flew my B.E. yesterday, and the beastly thing nearly caught fire. We are getting a new engine for it from Paris.
-Lt. Harold Rosher, letter to his father, May 23, 1915

Air War: The Nieuport 10 is officially submitted for testing. This apparently is a perfunctory test, as the N.10 is already in service with the Aviation Militaire and the RNAS.*

Turkey: The train carrying Helmuth von Mücke and his men arrives at the station at Haydarpasa Gari, across the bay from Constantinople (Istanbul). There they perform parade maneuvers to show that they have not lost their military bearing. Von Mücke then presents his men and their flag to German Admiral Souchon, the man who had himself delivered the battlecruiser Goeben to the Turks the previous August, and has been the commander of the Turkish Navy ever since.

"I report the landing squad from the Emden: Five officers, seven petty officers, and thirty men strong."**

*Nieuport 10-12 (Windsock Datafile 68, March 1998), by J.M. Bruce

**The story of Hellmuth von Mücke and his crew have been taken from The "Ayesha": Being the Adventures of the landing squad of the "Emden", by Kapitänleutnant Hellmuth von Mücke (English translation by Helene S. White), Ritter & Company, Boston, 1917

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 05-23-15 at 08:38 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote