View Single Post
Old 05-08-15, 10:35 AM   #766
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

8th May 1915

Western Front

Second Battle of Ypres: British lose Frezenberg Ridge under terrific shelling.

Eastern Front

Germans take Libau.

Further Russian retreat in Galicia.

Southern Front

2nd Battle of Krithia ends in an Ottoman victory as Allied troops suffer more than one-third casualties.

Naval

North Sea
Limewold, armed trawler, 189/1898, Grimsby-reg, hired 12/14, 1-6pdr, CO on shore sick, Acting Skipper C Bond i/c, on patrol. Shell burst close to the bows at 0430, 20 miles E of Peterhead, submarine spotted one and half miles away right astern and closing fast, turned and returned fire, claimed hit on waterline abreast of conning tower with fifth shot when range down to 600yds, submarine submerged.

Admiralty collier (and one steamship) captured and torpedoed by U.9 (Johannes Spiess):

DON, Admiralty collier, 939/1892, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co, Goole-reg, Mr W Adron, sailing Cromarty for Blyth in ballast. Sank around 0440, 7 miles E of Coquet Isle, off Amble (wi - in 55.21N, 01.20W).

Political etc.

German shops in Liverpool are attacks by mobs in anger over the Lusitania sinking.

Ship Losses:

Don ( United Kingdom): The collier was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 7 nautical miles (13 km) east of Coquet Island by SM U-9 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Hellenic ( United Kingdom): The trawler struck a mine and sank in the North Sea with the loss of three of her nine crew.
Lilian Drost ( Denmark): The cargo ship was sunk in the North Sea (56°40′N 4°00′E) by SM U-36 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Queen Wilhelmina ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was torpedoed and damaged in the North Sea off the Longstone Lighthouse by SM U-9 ( Kaiserliche Marine). She was beached at Amble, Northumberland and was a total loss.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote