nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Great work
Ah just havin' a time there boy.

The basic infinit terrain system is in pre-alpha state. Based off the marching cubes project. Will allow us to generate random sea floors when out at the oceean depths if needed (at first once you get to a depth thats wayyy past crush depth I dont plan on even having an ocean floor, other than to cover up the moon/interior/other stuff you shouldnt see in free camera mode.

Got my laser range finder worked on not perfect yet, It can detect distance to other ships/planes etc. but not totally accurate.

Got a basic sonar system down. Havnt got audio working yet but unreal has a noise making system that works with their AI system so that you can have certain objects "emit noise" at a certain level that you can set based on as complicated math as you wish or just a value 0-1 which the enemies will then be able to/or not to detect depending on their sensiitivity and if they do detect you they will investigate and it works in reverse, when we have time we will set it up so that you output a certain noiose value based on engine rpm, sound coating, weather conditions, sea temp, biologicals/land blockers, rigged for silence etc. This as also had me start writing down some basic logic for acoustic homing torpedos but I dont want to get ahead of myself.

Looking into using the fish flocking behavior the community started (it uses the predator/prey approach, as in the fish will come check something new out like a player, but if it moves or is listed as a predator once they get in close enough to "identify" it they will hightail it out of there, and if you attack they will go it on their own forgetting there friends, otherwise they just investigate, move around you etc.) for the enemy and friendly AI for truely dynamic battles against extremely smart enemys WITH friendly ships helping. UE's AI system is mind blowing, and only getting better.

Speaking of sound, going through some old threads on here got me some great sounds to use as a started and taught me into how to create a hydrophone with a mic, when I have time I'll head to homehardware and buy some abs to build one and see what kind've interesting sounds I can come up with for when you man the sonar system. For towed array etc. I'm still waiting on a reply from a community projcet that does what we need for it to be visible, otherwise the towed array will be a moving object with a scaled cylinder for a rope, if I get him to allow us to use his code, or he releases his project (its a WIP) then the towed array will actually be visable as a sonar buoy looking deal with a cable with a little slack in it.