View Single Post
Old 03-27-15, 04:23 PM   #132
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Getting drag figured out today with my partner and while he takes breaks I'm making my binoculars and learning raycasting (its not advanced per-say in Unreal, just very very flexible, it returns what object it hit, how long it took to it how, how far the ray took to hit it, where the object is the ray hit, where on the object the ray hit, the surface normal it hit, the location of the impact point, the location of the normal it hit, the physics material type it hit, the actor type it hit (actor = gameobject like a mesh, light, skybox, trigger volume, character etc.), the component it hit (components are things like text widgets, meshes, cameras, etc), the bone it hit (in a rigged mesh aka a skeletal mesh aka a 3d object with moving parts), the bone item it hit (not sure about that one), and it returns a boolean (true/false) if it hit anything at all as well as a boolean if anything is preventing it from ray casting to its full distance IE did it raycats the full distance you specified or did it hit somewhere inbetween.

Thats outputs. Inputs are where to start the raycast, where to end it, trace channel (visibility vs camera have to research that one), trace complex boolean (allows for complex hits it says), it allows you put input an array of actors (again actor = gameobject) to ignore and pass right through, it has input for drag debug type to draw an actual line which is an enum selectin of none, one frame, or full raycast duration, and a boolean input to ignore itself.

Very flexible. You will love Unreal once you get used to it Chad you will be able to build your prohibition game like it was nothing. Especially with a partner that can get you started (like I was lucky to get).

So yeah, binoculars today and getting the drag setup so the boat slows down and speed up properly.

Just so I'm sure. Ahead slow is is about 1/16-1/32 speed, slow is about 1/3, standard is 2/3 ful is 3/3 and flank is 110% right? And then reverse dead slow is 1/32-1/64 full speed, reverse slow is 2/3 minus about 15-20% reverse full is full speed minus about 25% and emergency back is full sped minus about 35-40%.... sound about right for a WWII boat like the Nautilus? (No cigar shaped bow). If anyone has any speed figures for any US submarines post WW1 at the different telegraph settings let me know.