NYGM_HiRes_Submarines_3_6F
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1
Van1920x1080
Enhanced Nav Map Plotting Tools
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
O2-Gauges v2

the observation scope is still gone though in my VIIC in Jan 1941. Also is there a tutorial for aiming anywhere, because I never did it manually without the luxury aiming wheel that was used in olc_gui, magui_widescreen and ahnenerbes gui. I have no clue how I would measure distance or angle on bow and most importantly speed without guessing it.
There is material in the documentation folder for Hitman's GUI, and in the Documentation folder for Hitman's Optics, which is included in NYGM 3.6F. There are tutorials on YouTube under the name Dick O'Kane method and Wazoo's Fast 90 method. Some of them are for SH4, but they are even easier in a U-boat with a TVR to give you lead angles. The techniques for range, AoB, and speed using just the scope graticles are in Hitman's documents. Also the documentation that comes with the U-jagd tools http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123373 is very helpful.

AFAIK, the simplest attack tactic is this:

Maneuver the boat so it is perpendicular to the target track and at a range to the track of 500-1500 m. Disengage the TVR ("TDC"). Set target AoB to 90 degrees (Make sure you set it to the correct side!) Set target speed to whatever you have determined (There are lots of ways to do this. I try to use at least two and make sure they agree.) Set the scope bearing to zero degrees (180 if using a stern tube). Engage the TVR. Turn the scope so the indicated torpedo gyro angle is zero. Wait! (May want to lower the scope while waiting.) When the target crosses the wire, "Fire!"

For this method, the only crucial parameter is target speed.

BTW, thanks to the TVR and its lead angle calculator, this technique works fine for attacking convoys. They're all on the same course at the same speed. You can swing the scope 10 degrees or more to either side, and the lead angle will adjust. So you can engage multiple targets without having to change the setup. Which IIRC was one of the purposes for the lead angle calculator.

Last edited by BigWalleye; 02-25-15 at 07:27 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote