View Single Post
Old 03-29-06, 07:35 PM   #59
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

The stock database is, to put it simply, a horrorshow.

1) AI platforms do not have effective sonar, all are set as very weak. Most platforms' sonars are limited to 7-14nm hardcapped range... modern SSN's have a 60 degree forward baffle in which they are completely deaf.

2) Some platforms have missions priorities set in such a way that they will not do what they are supposed to do

3) SubAtkSub and SubAvoidWeap doctrines in particular are very weak in terms of producing aggressive performance. AEGIS (CIWSAttack doctrine) performance is virtually non-existant.

4) The relative sound vs. speed and over all sound level has been tweaked to give a much larger range of detections on platforms... the stock database has a standard ~10db addition to noise for d/e subs at flank and a ~20db increase to noise for nukes at flank (including SSBN's).

5) All torpedoes use the same seeker with range 4500m.

6) The game engine has a bug that allows aircraft to track submarines FOREVER once they have them on MAD or dipping sonar (capability added in the Mod), that we were able to work around using doctrines... this means that airplatforms are using permanent show truth data on all contacts they detect. Should I go on?

Oh yeah, one more I almost forget about now...

7) Torpedoes do not explode on launched countermeasures in LWAMI.

I will never make another mod that has the word "realism" in the title... that's just a hook to be honest, a legacy from when the mod simply switched the 65cm and 53cm to represent more proper Russian weapons, added the TB-23 to the 688i, and introduced underwater missile launch transients.

In any case, the readme is very thorough... I guess if that doesn't make you want to try the mod then there is pretty much nothing else to say.

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=49705

PS In rereading your last post, I think you are missing something... but I can't quite put my finger on what it is... I think you genuinely don't believe than an amateur can make genuine improvements to a product such as DW. Well then, try us.

Quote:
That's possible, but without knowing more about the internals of the model, I can't make a judgement about that.
PPS Everyone using the advanced capabilities of DW really needs to become proficient using DWedit to reference the database.