View Single Post
Old 03-29-06, 07:20 PM   #58
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
The thing is, the more I understood about the stock database, the more I came to see it as a massive anchor that really weighs down the sim, preventing it from performing well enough to be enjoyable, to me anyway.
How so? To me, it's always been explained as a "realism" patch, which struck me as questionable.

Quote:
If it weren't possible to improve the performance of stock game, I would have played the stock missions and stopped playing the game... the AI is simply non-existant in SP, and the balance is totally wrong for sustainable MP.
How does the database improve the AI?

My experience with the AI has been that it's actually about equivilent to the average 14 year old playing the game in many respects. For example, if you program it to "Attack" it tends to shoot early with a questionable firing solution. Actually, in that respect it's superior. It's much better at TMA than most kids.

If you program it to "Evade" it is more likely to shoot a passive torpedo if you get too close and tends to prefer sneaking away.

Balance on a platform level isn't something I worry about a whole lot in MP. If people come up with contrived scenarios, then altering the platforms to make it more "balanced" is just adding layers of contrivence.

Quote:
Think of the Sim as being an engine that is greatly in need of an oil change.
That's possible, but without knowing more about the internals of the model, I can't make a judgement about that.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote