View Single Post
Old 12-22-14, 10:19 PM   #405
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Another mini-update has been released.
Use the same download link as v0.27: http://goo.gl/9avGXB
This update focuses on improving the behaviour of diesel-electric submarines in the game.

A new submarine class has been added, closely based on the Soviet Foxtrot-class submarine. This submarine has no nuclear reactors so it functions similarly to the WWII U-boats and fleet boats which many of you are no doubt familiar with from the Silent Hunter series. The most obvious difference is that you will need to periodically surface and run the diesel generators to recharge your submarine's battery. The performance characteristics of diesel generators (on all submarines) have also been significantly modified to be more realistic.

Note that your diesel supply is limited, but I forgot to add a gauge showing how much diesel is remaining... so don't forget to return to port regularly. You'll probably run out of torpedoes long before you run out of fuel anyway.

Quote:
Hmm... This game is great(better than linear SH II) but where is danger? Combat is like shooting to sitting ducks:/ Just try to compare this to Aces of the Deep. In AOTD enemy can attack player with depth charges for over 2 hours. I miss thats moments And little question-what with real time in game? Its possible to make this? Thanks for many hours of great fun with your game and sorry for my bad english
Thanks for the feedback!

The difficulty increased quite a lot with version 0.23 or 0.24, when I added much better situational awareness to the AI controlled ships. Sneaking into the harbour of Kaliningrad or Murmansk in an American sub can now be quite tense and challenging. But I agree, there is still a lot of room for improvement.

In particular, I plan to make enemies more likely to keep searching for the player after they have lost contact, and decrease the efficiency of the thermal layer. At the moment diving below the thermal layer makes your submarine almost completely invisible to all enemy sonar, which is not realistic.

Improvements to the mission assignment system will also help increase the difficulty.

Last edited by TheGeoff; 12-22-14 at 10:49 PM.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote