View Single Post
Old 11-15-14, 07:24 AM   #15
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
Regardless of how you look at it, making something work is the upside!

SH3 is old technology and now it is still running on new platforms. Commander was written before this new technology came along, and it too now can be used. What is wrong with that?

Steam changed how applications are run. SH3 is still a great game, and now can be fully enjoyed by folks who would otherwise have to find other "modern" games to play. I have the disk version, as I have already stated. It won't run on my modern windows machine. My system does not even have a disk drive!

Many other great games won't run any more, so I hope steam or some other entity can turn some wheels, or cranks, or whatever to allow folks to continue to enjoy.

Take away your prejudice, as if steam versions are not "legit" because they are. Just try to find any store, anywhere, selling legit disk copies now. Buying from Amazon is not buying legit, as in buying from an authorized distributor. There is nothing wrong with recycling old games, on disk or download. Steam pays for the rights to sell games.

Your disk version of the game is not a different game than mine. I have paid for legit disk copies of SH3, twice, and a legit copy of the steam version. Only the steam version will run on my system; through no choice of mine. So I have paid for my game play!

Go troll some other thread!
Thank you for the gratuitous insult. I do not recall having posted anything that attacks you personally.

Please go back and read my post. I did not say that the Steam version is "not legit", by which I presume you mean, is pirated. Of course it is not. And of course you paid for it. But what you bought is a different package than that released by the publisher, with its own DRM to make sure you behave yourself and don't do anything Steam won't allow. That is how Steam adds value - value to the publisher, who knows that the game can't be ripped off and is therefore willing to split the profit with Steam.

Steam has done nothing to make Sh3 (or Sh4 or SH5) useable on state-of-the-art PCs. Read the forums here. People are installing SH3, from download or fron DVD, on Windows 8.1 platforms every day. They don't need Steam to do that, and Steam in no way facilitates that. Certainly not for SH3, which runs fine on my state-of-the-art machine in native mode, with no help from Steam.

Of course you can install the game from the DVDs you have. You don't need an internal drive, just a USB port. Buy ($15) or borrow an external DVD drive and you can load SH3 and most, if not all, the other games you have on disk. Or download a copy from any reputable vendor on the net (like Amazon) and you will wind up with the same game as on your DVD, without any added DRM to add things you don't want to your PC. And you will be able to mod that game and use SH3C and whatever add-ons you want, without having to use the collective wisdom of SubSim to defeat the DRM which you paid Steam to install on your machine.

I have seen countless posts here on SubSim asking for help using mods with the Steam version of SH3, SH4, and SH5, mods that work just fine with the publisher's version. I have never seen a post that asks how to use the publisher's version with mods that work only on Steam. YMMV.

To return to my original question: The extra inconvenience of playing SH3, SH4, and SH5 purchased from Steam is quite apparent from reading the SubSim forums. The publisher's version is cheap, readily available, and offers none of this inconvenience. What then is the upside of buying SH3 from Steam?

Make no mistake, Steam adds value for the publisher. That is their business model. What is the value added for the purchaser, the guy who pays for the game?

Last edited by BigWalleye; 11-15-14 at 11:05 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote