View Single Post
Old 10-31-14, 04:40 AM   #3
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

[27/07/2014]

Bit slow going at the moment unfortunately, I'm currently waiting on my prop/shaft/rudder etc being delivered, meaning not much can be done on the hull until they arrive, and also my coloured LEDs which really need to be wired into the wheelhouse roof meaning not much can be done on that either lol. Anyway, finally another update for you

UPDATE 2:

There really is a hell of a lot to do on this thing, and I'm finding I'm flitting between different parts, sub-assemblies etc, which makes creating coherent photographs a little tricky, so you may have to excuse me if things seem a little out of order. There's also so many little parts that I think the best course to take is to get photos of the larger sub-assemblies, rather than going in-depth into every little storage locker and porthole.

So, first up, I decided to try a little detailing on the wheel house, despite its simplicity, this is by far the most advanced scratchbuilding I've ever done lol. Quite pleased with the effect though, certainly when compared to the original part above.

Just needs a floor knocking up, along with the telemotor, wheel etc.

Now onto the mast. See what I mean about flitting about? lol. My warm white LEDs arrived so that meant I could get on with the mast light. I removed the kit mount and knocked a little platform up out of plasticard, passed the LED 'legs' through it and made a little cap out of some sprue.

Rather pleased with the outcome

The funnel and midship cabin thingy together. All needs a little filler but nothing to worry about. The mast will be a loose fit to avoid damage in transit.

And there she is as of tonight. Painted up the funnel and stuff, used a custom mix of Tamiya paints to get the different greys.

The rust was done using Railmatch acrylic BR Bauxite (the best colour I had to hand), followed by some Tamiya Desert Yellow streaking. Everything then got a matt coat, a thinned Dark Dirt wash, and a final matt coat after the wash had been streaked with a wet brush.

Light on

Also got the Carley Floats done, not great but they will do.

And finally all the little storage lockers and stuff to go alongside the mast & funnel. These are still awaiting a wash.

TBC...

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote