View Single Post
Old 10-14-14, 07:53 AM   #24
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
You can roleplay SH4 as a Mush Morton kind of guy. That's your option. But you don't have to adopt his viewpoint to play the game like an authentic US sub skipper.
In strong contrast to Mush Morton, you have Slade Cutter of the Seahorse. Cutter recalled his officers "loved gun action." Having sunken several unarmed trawlers, Cutter had become sickened by the slaughter and decided not to attack any others. Another trawler came into sight and Cutter declined to attack. Later he said, "One of my officers came to me with our operation order, which said something like "You shall sink all vessels encountered by torpedoes or gunfire." He argued that these boats were feeding the Japanese and might be serving as aircraft and submarine warning patrols. So I said, 'Oh hell,' or something to that effect and ordered battle stations surface. Another Japanese trawler went down. No survivors." All this was too bloodthirsty for Cutter. He never authorized another gun attack on small craft.

So, policy on fishing boats, sampans and native ships really seemed to settle on the skipper on the spot.
Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote