View Single Post
Old 09-14-14, 08:27 AM   #3
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePartington View Post
Is the world going insane, or are these incidents becoming more visible?
Mass media clamors to put bad news on the wire. It's in their nature.

Considering the rise of the police state and some of the underhanded things they've been doing to otherwise innocent folk, I'm surprised it isn't happening more often.

Law enforcement views itself as an army fighting a war against everything criminal.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/pat...or-patrol.aspx

The only problem with this mindset is that all too often innocent people get caught in the crossfire and suddenly the police become judge and jury and will make your life a living hell, leaving you with little recourse or remedy short of a huge attorney bill.
How to lose a large sum of money through police interdiction...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...-targets-cash/

There have been numerous law abiding citizens who found themselves on the receiving end of an interdiction traffic stop and had their money seized, even when no contraband is found.

If you're going on a family vacation, don't carry cash.
If you're moving to another state, don't carry cash.
If you're headed somewhere to buy supplies for your restaurant, don't carry cash.

That's three examples of people who were interdicted by law enforcement and were perceived to be in the drug trade and had a large sum of money stolen from them by a police officer, thanks to their usage of increased powers from the Patriot Act. The seized cash gets sent to a Federal interagency sharing program where it gets divvied up and passed around.
I call it legalized highway robbery because maybe one in a hundred traffic stops are found to be actually hauling contraband. The other ninety-nine are just ordinary folk who don't trust banks or can't have a bank account for whatever reason. But, it's enough to arouse suspicion and levy an accusation.

Like I said, I'm surprised it isn't happening more often.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote