View Single Post
Old 08-16-14, 04:37 PM   #4
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
First, welcome back! Quite a bit has changed.

As you said, SH5 is good. Graphics are beautiful, and the crew does things it's supposed to do (like navigate!), without being infallible robots. But there are storylines, and I just don't like linear campaigns. YMMV.

SH3 has a lot of new stuff. NYGM is my preferred megamod, but everyone has their fav, and a new LSH is coming soon. vanjast just released his Van1920x1080 mod, which makes SH3 pretty much as good-looking as SH4 (IMO). And Hitman's Optics/Hitman's GUI give you the most historically correct U-boat optics. h.sie's patches, and Stiebler's add-on, fix a lot of old problems, like the Lazy WO, and add a lot of historically appropriate limits. And give you real wolfpacks to call in. The patchers basically insert machine-code fixes into a copy of your sh3.exe file, which you then activate with JSGME, overwriting and saving the stock sh3.exe. Changing the machine code makes it possible to do things that can't be done by modding the data files.

A couple of pieces of advice regarding the mod list you posted. First and foremost, if you are going to use h.sie's and Stiebler's patches, the supplements must be activated last. Because you build certain files by editing the final, modded version of those files, and you don't want any other mod to overwrite them.

I was really pleased with SH5 Water for SH3, but recently I switched to ManosEnvironmentPro v4.2. It's newer (which doesn't necessarily mean better) and a more complete environment package. And I personally like the water better than SH5 Water. Of course, that's a matter of personal taste, but do give MEP a look.

Use the 3rd Flotilla mod only if you are going to use the 3rd Flotilla. It overwrites the 10th Flotilla.

TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3 seems to have some issues for some people. You might want to avoid all incarnations of TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance, including those for SH3 Commander, until you have a stable configuration, then try it.

There are a couple of overwrites on the list that are unnecessary. 3D_Waves, for instance, is overwritten by SH5 Water, Harbor Personnel by Port People. Best to avoid that kind of duplication. And Van1920x1080 has a better version of Van's AoB Wheel built-in.

A couple I would recommend:

DD's Open Hatches mod, or FM NewInterior 2.1D. These two add a lot of nice look-and-feel touches to the interior. FM's mod has everything from DD's (and much, much more!), but only for a Typ VII.

Carotio_SH3_ClothesHatsFacesSkilledCrew. Gets away from the uniform look.

There is lots more good stuff around. Settling down to a mod list you like may take a while.

Good luck and good hunting.
Awesome post!! Thanks. So how do I add more mods if I added the hard coded patch?? How do you undo it?? I'm installing a fresh copy tonight and want to get everything up and running.
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote