View Single Post
Old 07-25-14, 11:29 AM   #17
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocking View Post
That makes sense Steibler. In my current testing, I have the Van1920x1080 widescreen mod installed and really like it. I have not installed the Hsie and Stiebler hardcode fixes yet. Here are two observations:

1) In order to use the Van1920x1080 widescreen you must use the older version "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0" rather than the more recent "Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)" version that is located in the Documentation folder of the "NYGM3_6D" folder which is apart of the NYGM install. Is this correct? What is the difference between these two version of Hitman's GUI?

2) When I look at my current "menu_1024_768.ini" file after installing both Hitman's GUI and vanjast's widescreen mod I notice that the Steibler changes from his hardcode fixes are not there. I also noticed, as Steibler warned, that the numbering system has changed as well. This means I will have to apply Stiebler's hardcode fix manual changes to my final "menu_1024)768.ini" file after installing all other mods paying particular attention to the code titles rather than numbers since they have changed. Is this correct?

Thanks again for continued help on getting me up and running. I guess I have been away from SH3 since about 2009 which seems an eternity with all these new mods and updates that are available.
1) I am not the expert here, but I will try to answer your question based on what I know and have inferred about the two mods. I apologize to all if my interpretation is wrong, and I invite anyone who has better information (Hitman, especially!) to post here and set me straight.

Hitmans' Optics is just what the name implies. It is a mod which alters the optics of NYGM, with the goal of increasing the historical accuracy of the optics screens only. It changes cameras.dat to make the FoV and magnification historically more appropriate, and to make the proportions of images in the scopes more useful for determining target range and aspect when using scope graticles only (as was done historically). It removes the stadimeter and RAOBF, and uses graticles modeled on surviving examples from actual U-boats. It removes the notepad interface with the WE. That, as I understand, is all it does. It is not a GUI or a replacement for a GUI.

Hitman's GUI is a (partial) change to the NYGM GUI. It incorporates a change to the NYGM optics. Not exactly the same change as Hitman's Optics but very similar. It also adds a new TVR panel (TVR was the German functional equivalent of the TDC), large pop-up gauges for 260m and heading gauges, new images for the officer buttons, and a new target bearing angle calculator. None of this additional functionality appears in Hitman's Optics.

Van1920x1080 is based on NYGM and Hitman's GUI. It might work with Hitman's Optics, but it isn't meant to. If you don't want the additional functionality of Hitman's GUI. you will have to edit it out of Van1920x1080. (BTW, that is the approach I have taken.)

Hitman's Optics is absolutely not a follow-on version of Hitman's GUI. They serve different purposes, should not be used together, and should not be substituted for one another.

2) That is correct. You can also use the .tga files in an item entry (in menu_1024_768.ini) to help identify the item's function. As Stiebler notes, the ItemIDs shown will only match the ItemIDs in from the menu_1024_768.ini from unmodded NYGM.

h.sie has a very nifty little tool for resequencing groups in menu_1024_768,ini. You can find it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152823 Don't leave home without it!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote