View Single Post
Old 05-14-14, 09:17 AM   #170
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Rayboy1995 from the Facepunch forums has created a vastly improved submarine editor for the game!

Download link is here: http://filesmelt.com/dl/subcomeditor_v0.22_.4_.jar

It cuts out about 90% of the tedious .ini file editing involved in making a submarine, and I'd highly recommend it. He posted some basic usage instructions:
Quote:
-You can load a submarine by selecting the folder that contains its files.
-You save a submarine the same way by selecting a folder to put all of the files in.
-To select what to edit, click the dropdown menu labeled edit. There [SUP][/SUP]are four buttons: "Edit Tiles", "Edit Doors", "Edit Objects", and "Edit Areas"
-While editing tiles use the scroll wheel to move through tile types. Left click to place the tiles, right click to change them to water. Hold control then click and drag to fill in a square with the tiles.
-While editing doors you can left click to place them, right click to remove them, and left click on any existing door to change its orientation.
-While editing objects you can hold left click to drag them, right click to edit their properties, and remove them by selecting them and clicking edit->delete selection to remove them.
-While editing areas you can do the same things you do with objects.

Also thanks for the feedback 299314. There's a few improvements I'm hoping to make to the battles in the near future - the main ones are implementing damage models for AI ships (so they aren't killed in one hit), and improving the enemy AI so they stick together and use teamwork. That should increase the challenge significantly.

And at the moment, flooding the reactor room has no effect. The ability to flood the reactors with seawater for emergency cooling is a unique feature of US submarines as far as I know, but most of the systems in the game are modelled on Soviet submarines. It's easier to use Soviet subs because:
1). They have exported them several other countries (like India), and as a result information which would be classified on most western subs has slowly leaked.
2). More accidents and near misses have happened - so more is known about the behaviour of the emergency systems and response procedures.
3). Western countries have spent a long time building up data on acoustic signatures and specifications of Soviet subs, and some of this data has slowly been released (particularly through academic papers).

More information means I can make a more detailed simulation, so most of the stuff in the game is currently based on Soviet equipment. I do plan to include the differences between different nations' subs at some point though.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote