View Single Post
Old 05-09-14, 04:26 PM   #20
Fizwalker
Seaman

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akotalaya View Post
Fizwalker dont run submerged unless you have to, because recharging batteries does burn more fuel, and as far as running 1/3, dont do that on the surface or you will only fo a few thousand miles at that speed, ive found that fleet boats normally get the best range at around 9 kts, on a full tank ive gotten up to 23,000 nm..allowing me to stay in enemy waters longer and come back with an empty torpedo load because im not having to head home for refuel, i will have to take the gar class out for a patrol or two and see what she can do! i love trying new things
Thanks for the info! I'll have to try that out some time! To be honest... I've not really had a problem in hauling back unfired torps... (except once, where the interface, status reports I sent said I had four(4) and it showed 4 greyed out torps in tubes 1,2,3, and 5, but I was unable to use them...Figured they were faulty Mk 14s and carried on...).. In fact, I've been setting a pattern of coming back to port without shells or torps....Which begs the question of can I kill a ship with AA guns.... Something to try. (I don't think Gudgeon can pull it off tho-- It's guns have a nifty wall that prevents it from firing on targets on the water). *EDIT: I've come to realize that I think I left my crew on Silent Running, so they didn't reload them.

Almost forgot, is the extra fuel that the diesels use enough to offset the savings by using batteries for 12 hours? (Gar seems to charge the things in a few hours while on the surface....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akotalaya View Post
so far on full realism runnign at around 9 kts i have gotten the gar to reach a maximum range of 21,000 nm..she has been a decent boat to me so far, ill see what the performance under water is when i run into a ship!
She's treated me well, my Gudgeon. Now... If only her captain could shoot torpedoes worth a darn. :P

Last edited by Fizwalker; 05-10-14 at 02:17 PM.
Fizwalker is offline   Reply With Quote