View Single Post
Old 04-29-14, 01:07 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKönig View Post
I've read some stuff about some of the original bugs in SH3, suggesting the world is about 15% bigger than it should be so I turn off things as 'limited fuel', so it doesn't matter how big the world is, it's my oyster.
It's because the SH3 world isn't round, so you have to travel further to get to the same point. GWX takes that into account and adds just enough extra fuel to make up for it.

Quote:
I can go anywhere. Unlimited battery is good too, to help shake those pesky HKs, but I give myself limited air. I have to come up sometime.
I try to keep everything set for limited.

Quote:
I like to keep the 'god's eye mode' I like to keep the map updates (even though i know how to use all my sensors, I'm lazy like that).
I use the 'Assisted Plotting' mod. Map updates are on, but the only thing that gets updated is the ship you have the 'scope locked onto. All others are removed from the map.

Quote:
I like to keep automatic targeting, because I am extremely bad at math, and if I had to work these solutions out myself, I would not nearly be as good at sinking anything. Maybe my own boat...
Same here. I have 'Manual Targeting' set, but I use the WE Assistance. Once I lock onto a target I ask the Weapon Officer for an update. He's perfect, and I wish he wasn't, but at least I only get a new update when I ask for it rather than it being constant. This also requires me to put the 'scope up more often, thus increasing my chance of being spotted.

Quote:
But, if you've been doing this kinda stuff for 30 years, don't you hunger for a new challenge? Why not set the bar higher for yourself and do something "insane", like, sail up the Thames and attack London? Or try to provoke the British home fleet? Of course it's impossible! That's why it's so frigging tasty!! I always attack NY whenever I get the chance. Be bold, be daring, who dares, wins!
Just the opposite, actually. With Silent Service, SS2 and Silent Hunter 1 and SH2 everything was always automatic. With SH3 I play as described, and for me just sinking a ship can be a challenge. I don't play much right now, because my single-core PC is nine years old and won't run things like IABL's Merchant Fleet Mod. After working for years to add almost 13,000 new ship names into SH3 Commander, I would really like to see the fruits of my labor, but I can't. Once I finally get a new computer I plan to run SH3 with all the goodies I've been lusting for. When that happens I will probably start a career that will last more than one year before I get bored, and I will almost certainly try to play even more realistically, not less.

But that's just me.