View Single Post
Old 03-14-06, 08:27 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The expected sale rate for SBP cannot compete with that of a Microsoft title. This is the major reason why it is so expensive: the more pieces you produce, the lower the costs per piece, the higher the overall profit, the more space you have to dumb the price. If a cost-heavy development like FS would expect the same low sale numbers like SBP, then it would not cost 125 dollars, but several hundreds of dollars, because the effort to develope it was more personnell- and cost-intensive.

What you see in features of SBP, as well as what features you do not see, is because of only one reason: the military customers demanded them, or they did not request them. These requests are reflecting the wishes of the military of what aspects they want to train. And this focus lies on training maneuver tactics, and for the classroom with 1:1 hardware replicas of the gunner's handles (you can buy them: 1000 dollars per piece): gunnery training. No game market and no private person decided on the design of SBP, but the military customer's demands alone. Because they are the true bread and butter for eSim - nut us private customers. We are too few in numbers. things that are not requested by the military should not be expected to find their way into SBP PE.

That'S why I and eSim say time and again: it is not a game, do not expect a game, if you think of it in terms of a game, DO NOT buy it. Much of the stuff you complained about in your posting above - is simply irrelevant. It is no driving simulator, it is no TOW-simulator, it is no mass-release to the game market. The focus of interest lies on other aspects - aspects that have been prioritzed by the military, not by the game market. If you approach this software with expectations and scale for comparison you have raised by what you have become used to by the use of games - then you necessarily must fail to see the quality of this software. It's focus and your focus are out of tune.

My honest recommendation for you is: do not buy it. I think you will be dissappointed, you interest and focus is another one than what this simulation could satisfy. at least try again in half a year, when at least one new vehicle will be available, maybe more 3D interiors - and the few flaws there are will have been patched out. I admit, the gunner-shoot-too-short-error currently must be regarded as not only a minor issue, in fact it can be very frustrating at times. but soon it will no longer be there.

BTW, I have seen two infantry simulations that also were used for training purposes, their interfaces were far more primitive, their handling "non-ergonomic" to the max, no true 3D, primitive maps in black white only,to handle it all was a severe pain. The one costed me around the price of SBP ( I regretted to buy it), the other costed 700 dollars if i would have ordered it (I didn't), both were or are in use in american academies. Compared to these is SBP is both cheap, and far superior.