View Single Post
Old 02-23-14, 05:33 PM   #2259
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
Default Oddities about some GR2 files (model subparts placement)

Junkers_Ju-87B_Stuka_LOD.GR2

I don't know if it is me, but when I look at the stock Stuka in game (from some distance), her rudder is always rendered several meters to the back of plane's tail. When I move the camera closer to the bomber, the problem disappears though. I was sure that the problem was due to a misplacement of the rudder in the LOD model, but neither GR2 Editor, nor Goblin Editor, nor Granny Viewer show anything wrong with it...

Bristol_Beaufort.GR2

The other day I was looking into why Beaufort's rear gun fires as if it was a front gun, as reported by Serge. I was conviced that rotating gun's bone by 180 deg, would have solved the problem but I then realized that it might be more complex than I thought at first.

A foreword:
both for the main and for the LOD GR2 files, the gun is composed by a turret model, and by a barrel model. Their bones have position data but not rotation data and, as expected, barrels' bone is child of turret node.

What I have discovered:
  • When opened in GR2 Editor and in Goblin Editor, Bristol_Beaufort.GR2 looks perfectly normal. I have exported its meshes, and imported them in Wings3d and, again, every part is in its own place. Open the same file in Goblin Editor though, and the gun barrels are out of place and pointing to the wrong direction.

• The next step was looking into Beaufort's LOD model. Gun barrel position settings were identical to the ones of the main model (checked in GR2 Editor), but this time everything looked normal in Goblin.

• Using GR2 Edtor I then changed x, y and z position and rotation data of main model's barrel bone, saved, and loaded the file in Goblin. Nothing changed. Position/rotation data do nothing apparently.

• Did the same as before with the turret bone. As before, I expected my changes to do nothing but, to my surprise, the turret had changed position in Goblin.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote