Thread: Dud Torps
View Single Post
Old 02-18-14, 11:31 AM   #62
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Sadly, some Skippers may have 'cooked the books' in their attack reports - reporting setting torpedoes as ordered, when in reality they set them to a shallower depth for impact and not run under.

This made diagnosing the problems with the torpedoes harder.
==============

It wasn't that this practice, which did happen, made it hard to diagnose to problem it simply kept good men out of hot water. There were orders to follow and consequence if you did not.

When they moved the depth sensor to the tail of the torpedo they did not count on the curved shape of the tail altering the sensor, which it did, and caused them to run deeper and made the magnetic detonator ineffective. This wasn't tested.

When they used detonators designed for WW1 speed torpedoes on faster torpedoes in WW2 they did not expect that they would break under the force of impact but they did. This wasn't tested.

Unlike the German Navy no one at that time had thought about the deviation of the magnetic filed around the earth and how they affected those bodies it in either.

It wasn't sad that skippers lied in their reports. It saved lives. What was sad was the Buords and Navy command not taking the time to study the issue.

It was the inadequacy of Buord and those in command dealing with quality control that led to many men dieing from subsequent counter attack due to the failure of the weapons they were given.

TMO does a great job of modeling the issue and I can't tell you how many times I cussed the screen while imagining how those men must have felt to have a perfect set up and a failure for a weapon.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 02-18-14 at 12:01 PM.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote