View Single Post
Old 02-15-14, 06:42 PM   #761
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Whilst looking at articles on the new movie 'The Monuments Men' I came across this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26174654

- First, this unit really existed ..

- Second, the Nazis DID loot art of all kind, to be exhibited in the city of "Germania", after a war that Hitler won..

- Third, the "Nazis" (b.t.w. who IS a Nazi by Definition?) tried to make sure that pictures and all kind of art was not destroyed, during bomb raids.

- Fourth, I wonder, where some of this found artwork (by this unit) made its way, after WW2.

And, this is because of:

- Fifth, i saw several documentaries about similar US units during the Iraq war, that made me question this holy (*ahem*) task of those "monument men". 'Disgusted' does not quite describe what was shown there, those surely very 'special units' plundered museums and memorial places following a well laid-out plan, stealing so much works of culture of a civilization beginning 4500 years bevor Christ, that it made that war look worthwhile, just for that. Where did all this stuff go ? Clearly, it is not in Iraq any more..

Will watch the film, but the idea alone of seeing di Caprio as a WW2 soldier

Well, i saw him as Hughes in 'The Aviator' and he was great, but Americans as the saviours of culture, is hard to swallow sometimes...

Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote