View Single Post
Old 02-15-14, 04:29 AM   #14
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
I have been watching some of the gameplay videos on youtube. Other than a tactical display map there doesn't seem to be much interactivity with the ships, planes or subs. Lots of information very highly detailed information packets on every aspect of the game.
this seems to be a more highly detailed version of the Tactical display for dangerous waters without the visual aspects of the actual gameplay.
Hi there,

I am one of the creators of Command so naturally I am biased in its favor.

That said, I think the game represents incredible value if you take into account what you can do with it.
  • Low-tech machine guns, rockets and other unguided weapons in duels with pirates, smugglers and Iranian speedboats in the litoral? Check.
  • All-in naval engagements vs the Soviet/Russian or Chinese fleet? Can do.
  • Massive air battles equal to Desert Storm, WW3-Centfront or even larger? Yup.
  • Proper ballistic missiles (including MIRVs), ABM systems (both missiles and lasers) and satellites with realistic orbits? It's there.
  • Mine warfare? _Thousands_ of individual mines with solid performance (forget abstract "minefields"). Detailed mine-laying, mine-hunting and mine-sweeping ops & hardware.
  • Nuclear weapons? Everything from Little Boy and Fat man all the way to Yars, Bulava, DF-41 and whatever else the Russians and Chinese will churn out next week.
  • Baseline land combat, air-drop and amphib ops? Yes you can.
  • Currently available scenarios (86 at the moment) not giving you enough or not covering the situation you're interested in? Best-in-class scenario editor allows you to make your own battles, anywhere on the _planet_, with any forces and equipment since WW2. (This scenario took me about 2.5 hours to create and release, and most of that time was AI-testing).

So by the time you gather your other favorite games into a collection matching the modeling/simulation breadth and depth that Command offers, you'll have run up a tab much higher than Command's price.

"Game X can do this or that thing better than Command and is cheaper" may be true but is also missing the point. Command is a game for those who want to do this thing, and that thing, and that other thing, and all millions of the little things that make up modern air-nav tactical/operational warfare in one package. It is, in many respects, the air/naval counterpart of TOAW; and just like it's pointless to compare TOAW with e.g. a tank sim or any of the games covering a specific conflict, it is likewise futile to compare any single air or naval sim to Command.

Of course you don't have to take my word for it. Take a look at our press & awards page: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1917, which includes lavish praise from people who know their stuff on serious wargaming.
Come and talk to existing users (many of them veterans of other air or naval games like DW) and ask them about their experiences: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1154
Or even ask on Usenet's historical wargames group, arguably the toughest bunch of wargaming critics you're ever likely to encounter, their take on Command: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...war-historical

And even if you decide not to get Command, stick around. The community we're building benefits from the contribution of all students of the air-nav art, be they customers of the game or not.

Thanks!
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote