Old 03-08-06, 07:30 PM   #25
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellman
PROCEEDURES.
Not beeing party to the pros 'search manuals' or operational analysis proceedures, the task is like pursuing
burglars over a golf course at night in pitch black conditions with a weakly powered torch. How can you maximise your
chances of collaring one or more ?
If you're not afraid of some heavy duty math, you can write your own search manual.

Bare in mind, people have been interested in the mathematics of search since WWII. It's been used for more than just finding submarines. It's had implications for everything from crime scene investigation and finding missing children, to finding burried treasure, to search and rescue for the coastguard.

There's a book called, Search and Screening by Koopman (who basically invented search theory, and found it's application used to devastating effect in the Bay of Biscay during WWII) and another book called, Naval Operations Analysis by Wagner and friends, which basically covers a lot of the same stuff, but simplified. It also has some new stuff in it too. It won't tell you what the real people do, but it will teach you how to think in terms of how to make the most efficient use of your assets. Then you can experiment on your own, and see what works best for you. The problem solving is what wargaming is all about. All of these debates over realism are really academic. Who cares? I honestly don't think a lot of it really matters. So long as everything is correct in principle you'll have a reasonably realistic and fun game that you can learn a lot from.

Wargaming is all about the tactics. Sometimes I worry people obsess too much with the gizmos.

Quote:
Thinking of the character of this scenario, I must confess to a preference for this type of more open-ended
situation. Perhaps its my Harpoon experience but I prefer general objectives and the strategic or tactical decisions to be left to me, the player.
Yeah... missions that are too scripted can be boring to me too. I don't like to feel like I'm being lead by the nose to a pre-determined outcome. The whole point of a wargame is to put YOU in the drivers seat. Sink or swim, your decisions and good luck are what the outcome depends upon. It doesn't need to be complex. Even doing simple things can require a great deal of thought to do really well.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote