View Single Post
Old 10-01-13, 02:05 PM   #64
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Good post John. My thoughts are dating someone within the same decade of age. In other words, at least 10 years or closer to your age. By and large both would have experienced something that they can relate to. Your magic number is 5. My wife is 8 years younger than me. But, we related and enjoy experiences from decades we grew up. The 70's-90's. Music, movies and events we know and can enjoy. Times of our lives that created who were are. We both are from the same decades fabric as it where. Just 8 years apart. When you start pushing that 10 plus the divide becomes two totally different worlds. Other than the horizontal mumbo there is not much substance.
Every person has to tailor it, you're right.

I also think the older both parties are, the wider this age chasm can be.

For example a 65 year old and a 45 year old are more set for relationship success than say a 38 year old and an 18 year old.

when a person passes a certain age, they have pretty much been there, gotten out into the world, experienced their own triumphs and losses, their own successes and failures that make them a mature functioning adult be it in the expanse of society or the confines of a serious relationship.

below that certain age, they are just physically developed and thats pretty much it.

how should i put it?...

your twenties and early 30s are your renaissance period. Without them you are more or less unrefined. a man who is post renaissance entering into a serious relationship with a woman who is pre-renaissance is not a good idea.

EDIT: i admit there is no one size fits all formula, a persons situation can often force them to "grow up" faster than others. I have known a number of highly intelligent, wise beyond their years, young people who were way ahead of folks 15+ years their senior. of course it is because of this enhanced level of maturity and intelligence that they are usually not falling prey to such conundrums as dating outside their age group.