View Single Post
Old 03-21-13, 04:02 PM   #781
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the citations Skwiot also indicates that the re-siting of the 20cm occurred in early 1940:

Quote:
The first alterations were made in early 1940 aboard Type VIIC U-boats. The rear part of the bridge was widened and a 2 cm MG C/30 installed there, but this soon proved inadequate (p. 368).
I think we can safely discard Stern's statement.

As for the MG151, it's not really imperative that we model it, as I have only ever found reference to its installation aboard U553, and then only for trials. Skwiot also mentions that there was some experimentation as early as 1936 with a twin C/30 mount for destroyers, but that these tests were unsatisfactory and were discontinued. Maybe BdU thought of reviving a Dopp. C/30 mount in June 1942, but then gave up on the idea when the C/38s became available.

All of our sources seem to be in relative harmony about the dates and composition of the turm upgrades, so I don't think it will be too difficult to set renown cost and availability for them. But on the same subject, do you know how the game handles replacing the tower in relation to replacing the flak guns? It seems that upgrading the tower and the flak guns happened simultaneously. For example, upgrading to Turm II should not just change the tower arrangement, but it should also add a second C/38 mount on the wintergarden. Will the game automatically add a second gun, or will we need to purchase it with renown? I don't think a boat would have been upgraded to Turm II unless a second C/38 was available and ready to be installed.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote