View Single Post
Old 03-08-13, 03:44 AM   #32
Dorjun Driver
Loader

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Or I'm trying to figure this out too late at night and have it all wrong....
Too late? Way too early my friend, way too early. Late or early, I think my second diagram is correct.

Whatever the correct nomenclature, if the target is steaming along the green line, and you fire your torpedo when the target arrives at the intersection of the green and blue lines, and the torpedo travels down the red line, the torpedo and target will meet at the intersection of the red and green lines. Much to the target's chagrin.

And for the record, using “the formula” as written, I achieve accuracy sufficient to put my torpedoes pretty much where I aim—under the stack, 5’ below indicated draft—every shot. Discounting duds and deep runners, I’ve yet to use more than one fish to sink ships displacing, up to and including, 8150 tons. So there.

TorpX, I'm still getting 17.4 degrees. Perhaps I transcribed my "working" Casio/Excel formula improperly. I'll check into it.

If I were Bill O'Reilly, I'ld be tempted to let this whole thing go with a simple "You can't explain that!" But I'm not, so I won't.

TMC/RSRDC/OTC
Dorjun Driver is offline   Reply With Quote