View Single Post
Old 02-20-13, 10:30 PM   #86
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
A Bf109G with E parts seems kind of odd I wonder if they meant "F" parts.
I don't know for sure. As I said, I was told that by a friend whom many considered something of an expert on the 109. As I said the aircraft was completely modular. Everything bolted onto the central fuselage section, and any part could be replaced by any other part. Apparently this led to outlying gruppen in need of spares being told those parts couldn't be authorized for older planes, so the local commanders just lied and filled in requesitions for 'G' parts. Again, I haven't seen the actual information, so I can't verify it, but it came to me from a source I trust, and I trust he knew what he was talking about.

Quote:
I read that supposedly RLM would refuse paperwork orders for Bf109s if they used Me109 in the paper work this is interesting as it implies that it was referred to Me109 by many in Luftwaffe even at a level high enough to approve work orders to be sent out.
I've not heard that either, but it sounds like typical beaurocracy. It also implies that thogh many referred to it by that name official (or just some beaurocrat) policy was to insist on the Bf designation. Probably the latter. General George Kenney of the US Fifth Air Force allegedly threatened to shoot a supply commander for refusing to send parts to front-line units because they didn't fill out forms properly.

Quote:
I happen to have picture as a matter of fact notice anything missing?
Yep, any reference to factory designation.

Quote:
Clearly these are two 109s produced after Messerschmidt became the company owner.
Not sure what you mean. Most of them, from the D through the K, were built after the name change.

Quote:
Based On what I can find it seems that on official paperwork they where to be referred to as Bf109s I don't know if any of that documentation still is in existence.
That was why I insisted. Not that it really matters. I was just because of what I had read. I can definitely be pedantic at times.