View Single Post
Old 12-31-12, 05:05 AM   #27
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by V13dweller View Post
And with 'Open Horizons' comes the 'North-sands' large freighter, and that shares the same skin as the Auxiliary Cruiser Penguin without its (1) gun (s) , there is also a rename of the Komet as well with a 3 inch(?) put in place of it's quad Flak , but I cannot remember that name right now. There also come the 'Troop Transport' that is a Rawalpindi Armed Merchant cruiser without the 6 Inch guns. From what i have seen, the 'North-sands' Large Freighter would have a better chance of defending itself because it's single gun faces backwards but can aim to a certain extent forwards, this supported by the fact that, Merchants begin to take repeated left-right-left-right course changes on sight of danger(Submarines and their torpedoes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V13dweller View Post
After looking through some convoys, i have also seen multiple 'Carl Paters fleet tenders' in one convoy.
In real life, there was only one fleet tender by that name, the other fleet tenders looked similar but not that similar, I have also got a good example of ship armaments that Gap was talking about, the 'SV medium freighter' has seven large calibers guns, this seems like a more realistic weapon setup.
Having units that are playing multiple roles is quite normal: SH5 got a limited number of ships, and some of them where "cloned" (either in stock game or in OHII) with a variety of skins and loadouts for representing different classes.

In some cases this is acceptable to me. Take for instance the yet discussed axiliary cruisers/merchant raiders case: in real life they were requisitioned and converted merchant ships of common design (like the Ems class freighters). So duplicating them in game with lesser armaments in order to represent normal merchants, should be entirely legitimate. In other cases I will agree that this trick is just a forced compromise.

Nonetheless, once/if we get more detailed models, and as soon as we will able to import them in game as GR2 unit, it won't be difficult replacing the cloned ships in campaign with better models
gap is offline   Reply With Quote