Old 01-28-06, 01:20 PM   #21
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Re: To MOD Or Not To MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch
I beleive a compromise should have been reached by the designers in the fashion that although those values aren't real, they could at least be made into a proposition that satisfied the players gaming experience, not having been made it so extremely bad that warranted a Modder to seemingly step into the fray and stand on the bow and say "I bested their work, I've brought the simulation to a level of reality that the manufacturer couldn't" That my friend is arrogancy at its most blatant display.
You "believe" a compromise could have been reached. The reality is that the stock DW still AFAIK uses the "uber-65" (this one dates back to Sub Command) and the 400 feet dipping sonar (they flat out tell you in the manual that this is wrong, so secrecy has nothing to do with this, but they are doing it anyway).

It really doesn't take a genius to build a mod that corrects these two points. Now, one can make theories all day long as to why it is done like this, but it doesn't change that this is what they decided, and it is, to put it bluntly, quite wrong.

Quote:
No Mr. Oneshot, I have not sidestepped your arguments at all, I’ve reaffirmed my claims with some of you gentlemen’s answers, you in fact confirmed pretty much all my initial claims in one way or the other, as for me having a weak case, you have failed to prove me wrong, that’s why I stated on my initial post: So lets have it, take your best crack at me…” One can be arrogant if one knows the truth is on ones side.
Your claim is that you think more people would use our mod if SCS endorsed it. No ****. Except that if they endorsed it, it would be integrated into a patch, and people like you would never realize that they have endorsed our thing and that's why you finally have a longer than 400 feet long dipping sonar... any thank-you would be very low key.

Another of your claims is the potential of viruses. I've already dealt with that one by pointing out the mods that are actually being done in DW are of the types unlikely to hold a virus.

Most modders are hardly malicious and mean well, a point I believe you would agree on. Malicious people, I'm sure, have better ways to attack computers than burying trojans into a less than bestselling game's Mod DLLs. DW is not that popular a game - a sim, in a world that likes First Person Shooters...

A third claim is that they are used by a few people. Well, the good mods like LWAMI and the old SCX for Sub Command are placed publicly on websites. It is not like the makers distribute them off private FTP or Bittorrents or requiring password access. You just have to look for mods. SubGuru (where LWAMI and a bunch of others reside) is only like third on the search list you get by typing in Google '"Dangerous Waters" mods'. One would think if you are interested in mods, you would do that much, would you?

As for the point as to whether the modders are qualified ... well, in this board I've heard of people who are Navy men, or have been on very real Russian Akulas (I'm not sure even the Sonalyst guys had that privilege) to verify they do use that cream color and SSAZ sonar - you catching my drift?

On the final point, regardless of credibility is it an improvement? Well, why don't you download it and see - I promise that replacing a few text files won't infect your computer. Personally, I understand some people like playing the helo. I find it hard to believe they belive a situation where they can only dip to 400 feet to be the superior one. I was conservative in naming my examples to ones that are quite clearly off, and so were everyone else that had answered so far. If you are so frightened, then I can only say like the others my sympathies.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote