Thread: Download limit
View Single Post
Old 08-10-12, 08:59 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The problem is the amount of money it costs to maintain a website of this size. The other problem is that Subsim has more than 70,000 members, and most of them signed up just so they could download stuff. If all of them try to download 10 mods per day the download section is getting close to one million hits every day. That's not the case, but there are still a large number of people who want to download free stuff but never contribute to the site at all. The limit is an attempt to get more people to be active members, to enter into discussions and take part in the community. Another option that's been thrown out is to simply charge for downloads. That is almost certainly never going to happen, which is a good thing.

I just wish all the people who just want something for nothing would think about that. It's frustrating to see people with 10 posts and 100 downloads. Oh, and though it may sound like it, I have nothing to do with Subsim other than to be just another member.

I agree that if possible the ideal solution might be to have it be rank-based, so the higher your rank the more downloads you can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crécy View Post
Well, I doubt the modders have any say to the download limit... And I believe that if they could decide, there would be no limit. I mean who would want to make mods freely available and then restrict the amount of how many you can download them? At least I wouldn't.
You're right on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthird623 View Post
I'm just guessing but without the modders there is no website.
You would be guessing wrong. The mods are great, but the site is supported by members who contribute both money and time. It's the people who post regularly and contribute to the knowledge base and the comeraderie who make the site work. The modders who really make a difference are people like Stiebler and TheDarkWraith, who not only make great mods but spend so much time helping people understand how they work. Read any thread about the history and the real submarines, and you'll see who really keeps this site alive. The people who look up real data and post it, whether it's technical or the orders the commanders passed down, or the personal stories of real submariners. Read some of the forums outside the one game you're interested in, and see what the real contributors say and think. They are the soul of Subsim.

It's the people who give back to the community who make it work.