View Single Post
Old 07-27-12, 12:35 PM   #162
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the info and the links, Frau. I am very impressed with the venue; I have heard of Springer Auditorium mainly through the classical music radio stations I listen to and the recordings they play that were made in Springer. I had never seen pictures of the interior; it is one of those places just made for fine musical performances and I have always been partial to grand, historic architecture...

I have seen the 9th performed live several times, mainly here in Los Angeles. A couple of the performances were at the Music Center downtown at the Chandler Pavillion, but the acoustics there are not among the best. I have yet to see a performance at the newer Disney Hall. I have also seen the 9th at the Hollywood Bowl a few times, but, since it is a outdoor venue, the sound tends to dissipate the further from the Bowl stage one sits. One of the best performances I have ever seen was not by a world-class orchestra in a prominent venue. Several years ago, a local church hosted a performance by a lesser known orchestra and vocalists. The church is in the gothic style both inside and out and the interior has some very fine acoustics. The setting was perfect for the piece and to see and hear a performance that wasn't sort of coated with the patina of an "elite" event gave the whole piece a "humaness" I found lacking in the almost clockwork precision of the "pros". There is someting to hearing the sound of the orchestra and voices performing such a grand composition resonating in the naves and alcoves of a gothic church. Maybe it has something to do with all those Latin High Masses I attended while in Catholic school...

I hope you plans work out and you enjoy the glorious 9th...