View Single Post
Old 07-08-12, 04:39 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Now I found why I blew up during engine startup:

Quote:
Now comes the part that will trip up many of your fellow new PMDG BAe JetStream 4100 pilots: The Start Locks.

I recommend that you pay close attention to the following paragraphs, as it will save you some misery later on in figure flights!

You may have noticed prior to starting the engines that the propellers on the J41 remain in flat pitch when shut down. On a free turbine engine like a PT-6, the props wind up in a feathered condition, with the edges of the blades facing forward. Since the TPE-331 engines are geared engines, start-locks are used to hold the propellers at fine pitch in order to reduce the drag induced by airflow as the propeller is rotated during the start sequence. Remember, the propeller and the engine core are directly linked in these engines, so we want to induce as little stress as possible on the gear mechanisms during the start.Now that the engines are running, we need to remove the start locks so that you can have full command of propeller pitch. To do this, you SLOWLY move each power lever into reverse, one at a time.

I recommend that you move the power lever far enough after that the base of the lever is in the hatch-marked area on the pedestal as shown below:
Do this for both power levers, and the start locks should be removed without any problem.
NOTE:
You will know the start locks have been removed when you hear the callout "Startlocks Removed!" We added this callout in order to help you get a feel for when they have been removed.
There is no indication of the start locks being removed- and this is important to note. If you fail to remove the start locks after engine start, you will discover the following things later in flight:
1)
During takeoff, you cannot get Torque to exceed approximately 30%.
2)
You cannot get much acceleration for takeoff, no matter how hard you push on the throttles.

Well. I instead wnated to increase speed by experimenting with the coindition (=propeller) lever. Up to launch it goes - and then back to taxi i frustration. Boooom!

Some things really need to be known with this plane, and must be learned to do differently than usual planes in FS.

The FMS is - well, the most exotic design I have seen so far. I do not mess around with it that much, instead fly this baby manually, like a mutated Cheyenne on steroids flying low. This aircraft imperatively demands to be flown by hand!