View Single Post
Old 05-24-12, 08:48 PM   #2577
Kptlt. Siegmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

It was my first war patrol on this career, so I decided to be bold and go toe to toe with a destroyer on the surface. While observing a lone merchant ship in the process of sinking, a curious destroyer showed up. Not wanting to be detected, I decided to stop watching my handy work and slip away from the scene. Curious destroyer become a pesky destroyer. Long story short, I torpedoed him way too far forward, just in front of the A turret. That sent him limping away at a mere 6kts. So what did I decide to do? CHASE HIM! My crew looked at me with disbelief. We surfaced some 3km astern, and immediately took (rather inaccurate) fire. I hung back at this distance until the rear turret was out of ammo. No hits scored . I promptly closed the distance and jumped on the flak gun when I got within a few hundred meters. Now it was just a matter of clean up, and one by one, I destroyed all the turrets and the machine guns on the port side. Have a look!

You can see the burn marks from the torpedo impact on the starboard bow.

Starboard machine guns don't have a clue what to do

Come out with your hands up! Nice and slow!

Good thing torpedoes have a minimum arming distance. I just now noticed this destroyer had 2 triple launchers.

My emblem says it all (note what Mickey wrote on the torpedo)

That's right destroyer. A u-boat chased you, caught up to you, took no hits from your aft turret, and rendered you defenseless with just 1 20mm flak gun. I trust your log book will correctly detail this engagement. Looking forward to reading the London Times when you return to port
Kptlt. Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote