View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 04:46 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

No chance I will ever join it. Call me a relic of the paper-notebook era, but I am far less dependent that way than if I always need to carry smartphone or laptop around with me. Facebook also does not offer me what real vis-a-vis meeting, or a paper letter that actually needs some time, heart and energy to be written down, are offering. It is an instant quicky disguising itself as a "social life". And in the end, it turns people into products to be sold.

When I hear from a close friend's husband (who is school teacher) that pupils refuse to join a school trip holiday if there is no guaranteed internet access (a spreading phenomenon that I recently also read about somewhere in the media), then I think something goes totally wrong.

Friends on facebook are no friends. Social networks are not really social. A circle of friends counting by the hundreds or even thousands, is an erosion of the term. - what remains of Facebook when you substract what I criticise, is nopthing that you also could not run and maintain in your real life, via phone, skype, or real meetings.

Plus you get not profiled inside out by people of whom you know nothing what they do with your data and profiles. If I should join Facebook and sell my data, then they have to pay me. With more real value than just this cheap strange "service". If I am seen as a product, than at least a more precious one.

And no, I am not headed back to the stoneage and am no principle enemy of technology, by far not. I just do not loose my head over running blindly after it.