View Single Post
Old 05-16-12, 12:50 PM   #2131
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Spok View Post
So I see. From you words I tink it was better chance for me to get Sargo?

And I'm well aware about S-boats range limitations but when I tried to accept the offer for Sargo-sub I noticed that it has no option to install SJ radar, and S-boat had it.
I've noticed that NOT being offered SJ (Surface Search) RADAR when upgrading to the next better sub is pretty standard. You will usually be offered SJ RADAR after your first patrol in your new sub. That probably simulates 'production problems' in the real world. Not real sure about that when upgrading from Gato to Balao. Balaos may come 'stock' with RADARs and upgraded SONAR capability since they were available much later in the war.

Also, in RL, early SJ RADAR was kind of 'funky' - subject to unreliability - which is NOT simulated in the game. Trained personnel was also a problem early in the war since RADAR was pretty new technology. The Radarman had not only be well trained in use, but able to 'fix' the new technology if problems occurred. RADAR 'A' school was at least six months, so a shortage of personnel was also a problem, and probably explains NOT getting the SJ RADAR upon upgrading.

The switch from S-Boat to Sargo would probably be a 'wise' choice on your part. Personnaly, I always make the switch. I love the S-Boat, but they were, in reality, very much obsolete when WWII broke out - most had been built in 1925 or before, and were 'never' developed as a true Fleet Boat. They were used in combat roles during the early part of the war because that's all we had that were operational. As soon as they could be replaced, they were, but maintained their use as training subs, and patrolling the Panama Canal until the end of the war.

God Bless Electric Boat!