View Single Post
Old 02-02-12, 02:33 PM   #4063
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diopos View Post
The "minefield" was just a figure of speach. As for "Palawan Shiping Lane" I wouldn't voluntarily operate in the shallows. If my fate is to go "down" let it be deep!

Oh, I agree, but knowing you're basically blind to sonar in heavy seas in the game, it was worth the risk. I have no problem using storms as cover in shallows, what was so frustrating about the two attacks on the last convoy, first the skies cleared, then the last attack the water went dead calm in 10 seconds.

One of the reasons for the last attack was it was obvious the convoy was heading to a certain port, so I picked the deepest water of 120 ft, after that it was roughly 60 ft of water for the next 100 miles to port where the group would probably despawn...

One thing the game is missing in TMO and RSRD is much of the convoy traffic along the shallow coast of China and was heavily mined. These convoys almost hugged the coast line and used small islands an reefs as cover. Only a few sub captains had the balls to go after these, such as the famous sub "Barb" I put in a lot of China coastal traffic, minefields, more shore guns and coastal lights, so I enjoy the challange of hard attacks in shallow waters, but I always try to live and attack when it's smart.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote