View Single Post
Old 10-31-11, 11:48 AM   #9
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Bugs/Crashes are often a memory issue; seems those with decent RAM (6-8 gig) have significantly less CTDs overall. This could be due to the way SH5 loads the entire campaign layer at the beginning of the mission (especially when using OHII with its many changes), as well as other factors introduced by mods and the consequent higher memory usage.

EXE 'hacks' are already done, by TDW. Fixes the lame stock hydrophone and allows you to alter some of the map tool colours etc.

UI - TDWs New UIs with TDC, or the MaGui mod both fix the UI almost perfectly. Horses for courses, and while there are upgrades still going on, this one's almost done.

Graphics mods like Dynamic Environment are already released and making a lot of difference for most people. With regards to specifics like post-process effects, I doubt much will be possible as those options aren't available to users.

In terms of Sound, crew voiceovers and the associated re-recording and re-writing (which must come first, obviously) is a massive job - expect to wait a long long time on this one. Get Stormy's DBSM for the best environment sounds by a long shot.

Units & 3D models are currently the main focus, with TDW & Privateer working very hard on GR2 editing/viewing software that may finally allow the introduction of new playable subs and new shipping etc. Again, this is a massive job and is only now getting started.

Campaigns - OHII has already been released and reworks the stock campaign from scratch into a much better format. No doubt this means other campaigns may be made in future.

Crew management - no. Not yet anyway.

Crew writing: see crew sound above.

Scripting in general : god knows, I don't mod myself but TDW's advanced AI (IRAI) and other similar mods makes me suspect it'll be fine on this front.

Removing console features - this is disingenuous; these aren't console features, these are accessibility features (and this isn't the place to bring fanboy/waahconsolesaresoterrible arguments). Regardless, yes they've all been done away with via various mods.

Realism is what you make it. The Uboats have been altered to more realistic specs, Mia's Real Sink gives you better sinkings (as does FX_Update iirc). Only you can answer this one to your satisfaction, by trying the mods that work for you.

But the chaps do have a point - these questions are asked almost daily, and a quick glance around the first couple of pages of this forum would have shown you most of it, making the majority of your questions redundant. And at this point, speculation on what could be done is necessarily limited, because until projects like the GR2 editor become a reality we simply don't know what can be done.

Nobody minds you asking questions, even if they have been asked before - but most of us would prefer that people do their own research before repeating the same questions ad nauseum. Certainly I don't imagine anyone set out to offend you. Good luck with SH5 and don't hesitate to keep asking questions - just bear in mind a quick google might save you (and us) some time.
Thank you very much for responding in this style, that's a lot of very useful information.

One question that was not really answered is the scripting of crew dialogs. I wonder if it would be possible to use the scripting engine to bring this feature to its full potential. For example you talk to the 2WO and it triggers a speech file from Das Boot. Or something more inventive, in the long run.

I have tried the various UI mods. I see the guys have already achieved a lot but considering from where this game started, I'm still not sure that the SH5 engine can handle really slick interfaces. My personal opinion of course.

As to graphics mods they also make a big difference but to my eyes it is still a mixed bag between almost photo realistic and downright horrid at other times, mostly due to the post processing filters. That's why I am really looking for ways to disable or turn them down and made some experiments with GFXSettings.cfg and Lights.cfg. I was able to make some changes to the glowing crew members in the interior, so it looks like it can be done in theory.

Quote:
Removing console features - this is disingenuous; these aren't console features, these are accessibility features (and this isn't the place to bring fanboy/waahconsolesaresoterrible arguments). Regardless, yes they've all been done away with via various mods.
Of course this is subjective. Personally I do not like them one bit as they are all athmosphere killers to me. And I know that I am not alone too. Well, I must probably dig a bit more to find the respective mods.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote