Thread: Mesh for FSX
View Single Post
Old 10-05-11, 09:38 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Mesh for FSX

Found the freeware 38 m mesh for Europe by Raimondo Taburet and J. De Ferranti, called SRTM, a 340 MB download in two parts.

When I read on Aerosoft's page this about FS Gobal 2010:

Features:
  • (FS-Mesh- and sourcedata in 9m resolution!) for Hawaii (complete) and the southwest of the US, south of 38°N and west of 108°W (ca. Mesa Verde -> Point Reyes)
  • High Quality Coverage of North America (and p.Canada!): nationwide LOD11 (19m)
  • Greenland, Iceland and Scandinavia in LOD 9 (76m; standard SRTM resolution)
  • additional high resolution areas in Europe in LOD11 (19m): High Tatra, Scottland, Hardangervidda (Norway)
  • huge areas in the north of Russia in LOD9
  • Antarctica in LOD8
  • sophisticated new algorithm for correct views of ridges and peaks (most of them should have been higher and will now be nearer to actual value)
  • new algorithm for reducing irrelevant data for higher data compression
  • new algorithm for finding and correcting errors
  • Airport-Patches for prominent problem areas
  • a tool for the user to correct wrong airport elevations
then I get the impression that probably most of that payware (~ 60 Euros) would cover most of Europe and Germany in LOD10 or even LOD9 only, with translates also into a 38 m/78 mesh, accordding to the table in the review by avsim: http://www.avsim.com/pages/0210/Pilots/FSGlobal.htm.

That review also says that most of the global data covered by that package is LOD-9.

So I assume that it makes little sense to spend that lot of money on FS Global 2010 (I know the 2005 version from FS2004, though, it really makes a difference there) when I am flying mostly in Europe and Germany/Austria/Switzerland anyway?!

Has anyone experiences with the two and can compare them?

Of course I would be grateful for any opportunity to save money.

I would appreciate any tips for a free but good LC and textures for Europe, too.