Thread: AMD CPU dilemma
View Single Post
Old 08-16-11, 05:33 PM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Before we can advise you - whats the budget. If you can only do 1 or 2 of the 3, its best we know the budget so we can get you the best bang for the buck. If you can do all three - go with it.

The Motherboard is an AM2+ board, so you can use an AM3 chip in it = but only with the right ratings. The best chip you can run in that board is a Phenom II x4 955 at 125Watts. However, I STRONGLY suggest you go with a 95W 945x4 instead - I have seen too many AM2+ boards that were SUPPOSED to be 125W capable turn out NOT to be.

The 945 is a 3.0 Ghz screamer - its not an I7 but its more than sufficient for games. Your not likely to bottleneck it anytime soon. Your vid card will choke well before you ever make the cpu stress.
A 945 is about 100 - 110 US. No clue on pounds.

OS won't help unless you have the memory to use it - so combine those two costs as one upgrade - since the memory won't help as much (XP can see 3gb though) without the OS.

Overall, OS and memory will give you the best jump if the costs are about the same. Do one now and the other later when you can.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote