View Single Post
Old 07-24-11, 11:51 PM   #39
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The evidence is that several highly respected skippers stated in writing that they did this, in addition that no crewmember or anyone else has disputed this(as far as I can tell) in the many years that have passed since these incidents occured.
How would they? Why would they doubt their skipper's word, if they ever even knew about the report?

Quote:
Additionally, there was evidence of them moving faster such as Seahorse's encounter with the TF one June 15, 1944.The Seahorse who on paper could only make 20.25 knots yet were able to keep up with a TF or battleships, cruisers, destroyers(carriers I think, can not recall) that were(if I recall correctly) making 25-26 knots.
Twenty-six? Now I'm worried. A task force normally cruises at 15 knots. If they're going somewhere in a hurry they can do 30. Neither of those is 22 or 26.

Quote:
Now running full bore at the paper speed of 20.25, they wouldnt be able to keep them in sight for long, yet when they pushed their engines, they were making 22 or so knots, were able to keep them in sight at a distance for a while until had to take the strain off less they do serious damage.
Sorry, but which is it, 26 or 22? Twenty-two I can accept, even though I'm still doubtful.

Quote:
The Barb would be another example.Barb had a destroyer/PB type that was closing fast and they could not open the distance, the small amount of extra speed enabled them to pull away.
If it was a destroyer then it could make 36 knots on a good day. If it was a patrol boat, what kind? Not one of the Japanese patrol boat classes could reach 20 knots, let alone 22.
http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/P/a/Patrol_Boats.htm

Also, if there was a Japanese submarine chaser that could make 22-23 knots, what shape was this one in? Fouled bottoms slow ships down. Engines in need of serviceing slow ships down.
Again, I'm not saying it didn't happen, or that it couldn't happen, but you see my problem?

Quote:
I get your point of view and skepticism, I normally share it with just about anything but feel it's unwarranted here because if you count the word of highly respected naval officers and crew, the time that has elapsed without dispute(again that I know of), and again, the results. Seahorse kept up while running flat out, Barb escaped.
Possibly it wasn't disputed for the simple reason that nobody thought of it. On the other hand it could be true.

Quote:
Tang was able to cover enough ocean to rescue many aviators and aircrew shot down during the Truk raid.
It's been too many years since I read that account. Did they go everywhere at flank speed? While this would burn a lot of fuel, late in the war it might be warranted.

Quote:
I am sure other boats in the war operated at higher speeds, possibe some outside the Gato/Balao/Tench classes than they were supposed to be able to accomplish and odds are some may have had incorrect readings but we know of these three due to their stellar war records and books.
Being sure about other boats isn't recorded data. I've been sure about a lot of things in my life, and been wrong in many cases. Don't be sure unless you have facts in hand.

Quote:
The results speak for themselves in the well documented cases.
Not really, and for the reasons I've just cited. Anecdotal evidence, even from the most reliable sources, can only take you so far.