Luno
Ensign

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Nice reports all Some very successful sorties, I see

Continued from last time:

Sept 10, 1939
AN-53
23:40 - We received a radio report of a ship moving at medium speed, northeast bound. We were down to less than 50% fuel, but I made the decision to attempt an intercept. The weather though was bad - fog and heavy swells. The anemometer read 12m/s.

Sept 11
AN-53
2:15 - Visual contact with the ship. The sky was pitch black and it's hard to make out the silhouette. The initial assessment was a C2 Cargo, a juicy opportunity. I ordered us to go ahead-full to attempt a surface intercept. The waves crashed right up to the level of the conning tower. We were soaked and chilled to the bone, but we weren't going to miss this chance.

2:25 - Meanwhile, I was making measurements via the UZO and plotting probable routes. Something wasn't adding up. We got closer and I revised my assessment to a coastal merchant. The watch crew weren't entirely convinced...

2:30 - Revised assessment again. Damn, it was hard to see, but I was now certain that it was a regular small merchant. Despite the heavy winds, it was making 9 knots, it's known top speed. While it hadn't yet spotted us, I was sure it was running for a reason... After making satisfactory calculations, we ran parallel and ahead of the target in order to set up for a perpendicular attack, using the UZO.

4:06 - After getting into position, we fired tube 1. It hit right under the funnel. She then suddenly exploded and broke in two, the bow coming off just in front of the bridge. She sank immediately, within seconds. The odds of there being survivors were slim.

For a moment the watch crew and I stood staring at where the merchant once was. For over four hours in the pounding weather we had run at near top speed to catch it. Then it vanished in less than a minute, leaving no trace of its existence. We were suddenly left alone, in what seemed like silence, in the absence of the drone of diesel engines or the crashing of the bow fighting against the swells.

Minutes later, U-13 disappeared into the night...Only the wind, sea, and stars bore witness to our deed.

19:53 - The weather has cleared a bit, but the wind is still high. I asked the radioman to send a report to BdU. They congratulated us for our efforts and for sinking our first ship. The crew was exhausted, and the fuel was dwindling, but I was sure we'd make to base with plenty of reserve. Despite having 3 torpedoes left, we continued homeward.

Sept 12
AN-66
22:50 - The storms have returned. The waves again were high, and peals of thunder came from all directions. Lightning tore from the sky on the horizon.

Sept 14
Wilhelmshaven
7:39 - Docked at port. Despite the miserable weather and early hour, we were warmly greeted by our loved ones.

Engineers at port assessed the damage to the boat and stated that the hull integrity was down to 96% from the depth charge attack. Our kill was confirmed by the command - she was the SS Empire Merchant, officially carrying coal, but I suspect otherwise given her speed. Maybe sensitive documents or VIPs... Tonnage sunk was 2,900 GRT.

It was a successful first patrol, but now it's time to rest before our next sortie.

Luno is offline   Reply With Quote