View Single Post
Old 03-31-11, 04:33 PM   #13
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Yay, another Das Boot thread - but unlike Obama threads, I can't get enough of them
Then I think you should start one every day, in which you transcribe the actual German dialogue spoken in each scene. 1 day, 1 scene. From the uncut version, just imagine how many Das Boot threads we'd have then!

OTOH somebody would probably find that tedious and blame Obama for it.
Quote:
Another odd thing that I noticed while looking for this scene:
When our narrator gets the Tauchretter thrown at him, in the English version they say that it prevents him to smell Frenzen's feet, while in the original they talk about Frenzen's farts
I'm pretty sure that I have a version that is subtitled as "farts" and one that is subtitled as "feet." IIRC one version - I think it's the longer uncut one - has English that is significantly "cleaned up" instead of translated into subtitles that are more accurate and therefore more crude in some scenes. Which is kind of amusing considering that nothing was done about Thomsen's little exclamation in plain English in the nightclub bathroom.

Quote:
Yup, it's somehow funny that he says nearly the same as what is written on the crate. Like the TV cooks, who explain everything they do while you can see it at the same time: "And now I walk over and fetch the eggs..."
I always thought "Watch out! Eggs!" made perfect sense, the guy is walking through a busy zentrale carrying a very fragile bit of goods, he's just letting everyone know to be careful and not jostle him unless they want to be eating breakfast out of a tin a little sooner than usual.

But "Watch out! Screws!" ???

That makes no sense at all.

Considering the secondary German usage of "Eier," maybe the subtitler just got his nuts and screws confused.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote