View Single Post
Old 02-14-11, 06:22 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Trojan problem or no trojan problem? igfxtray.exe

I have Windows XP and Avira Premium (payware) in use.

Today when surfing, a sudden popup caused the hd to spin, but the popup content seemed to have been prevented from proper functioning.

After that, whenever the system is booting, after appearance of the desktop, I get an MSDOS execution box, 16 Bit headline, and then an error message saying that the NTVDM-CPU has discovered an invalid command:

CS:070aIP:fef00P:ffffffff00

I was alarmed, and started to investigate.

I found a file in my C:/documents/myname/Startmenu/Programs/Autostart/

name is

igfxtray.exe

Google said that there is a necessary file by NVidia of this title, however, in other forums opinions seem to have been split on whether this file was garmless or not, a necessary system file or a trojan.

I never was aware of this file before.

Opening the task manger and process list, this exe was there, too.

It could not be manually deleted at that adress, since it was in use, computer said.

I opened config editor and processes, found it there, and deactivated the ticked box, then rebooted again. This time, no error message and no DOS box. No entry in the process list and no present file in Autostart folder.

I started a full system scan with Avira Premium Suite, at maximum search options, two hours later the result said that no problem was found.

Now what should I make of this? A file named igfxtray.exe still is present in C:/Windows/pss.

System file? Then why jumped it to "on" and caused that DOS box and error message? Trojan? Why then is not not found?