View Single Post
Old 02-12-11, 12:58 PM   #739
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I finally got both volumes of his Hitler's U-Boat War or whatever it's called (too lazy to walk to the bookshelf ) - picked them up in hardback from third party sellers at Amazon for a cool $30 total (minus a $25 gift certie! ). Really happy about that.
You lucky girl! I haven't checked lately but it seems they're pretty proud of the second volume.

I got a used copy of the first volume a while back that was in ok condition. I'm going to check again now after seeing your screaming deal on Amazon.

Light reading, they're not. The u-boat ones are full of statistics and he comes up with some interesting conclusions, especially about tanker production and losses. I came away from the first book with the impression that things weren't quite as touch and go in England as many books lead you to believe as far as the effectiveness of the u-boats were at starving England.

I'm still early into his "Silent Victory" (Pearl Harbor has just been attacked). The book doesn't seem to be as full of statistics. I'm curious about what conclusions he comes up with.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote