View Single Post
Old 02-10-11, 10:40 PM   #559
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I mean, I'm assuming that's the effect (and point) of having A and B classes that are designated American and British respectively and only appear in the roster for their designated nation. If indeed that is the case, I haven't done a comprehensive search of the rosters or anything.
I guess I could go back through all the MFM names and remove anything that isn't specifically American or British. The problem is that pretty much every nation used similar-looking ships, and some of them are designs used by everyone. The good news is that a huge amount of ships changed hands but not names, so though the Maersk line is Danish, there were a great many seized by the British at the outset of the war. Also, as I've pointed out in the past, M35B has British and Canadian names, and M27B is a type used by almost every European nation. But sinking a British ship and getting a Dutch name isn't so bad, for the reasons listed above.

Likewise the 'A' classes. Many US ships flew the Panamanian flag for tax purposes, and a great many US ships had Spanish-sounding names, so any mixup inside the 'A' and 'B' ships is reasonably plausible. Even if every ship appeared in every roster the flags would still rarely match the names. That could only be done with an individual file for each ship, and as IABL and I have both mentioned this is pretty much impossible with SH3.