View Single Post
Old 01-13-11, 09:16 AM   #453
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
All the classes from the MFM are represented in the Ship Names cfg, except the neutrals (all the ones ending with X). This is because the Ship Names Classes were created long before IABL added them in. In fact I had a major nightmare several years ago because he had sent me a preliminary copy that I worked from for a long time, and then when he released the latest version they were all changed around, so I had to start over almost from scratch.

1. A ship class only has to be listed on the [CLASSMAP] if it needs to be connected to a different class. The name I have listed for, say, M01B are the names of real ships that look like that model, or close to it. If someone creates a new class it either needs to be connected to a different class in [CLASSMAP] or names need to be applied to it, which I'm always glad to do once the class is inserted into the game.

2. This includes the 'X' classes. They can be mapped to M40X can be mapped to M40A or M40B, or to GenericMerchantsAndTankers (but not for long, as I'm struggling to eliminate that category altogether). Ideally it shouldn't matter, because you shouldn't be sinking neutral ships.
So... the [CLASSMAP] is only there to make Commander choose names for one class of ship from the list given for a different class of ship, when the first class of ship doesn't have its own dedicated list? For instance, if class AAA so closely resembles the ships listed for class BBB that there is no need for it to have a separate list, then in the [CLASSMAP] you put AAA=BBB and whenever you sink an AAA ship Commander just pulls one of the names from the list for BBB.

If there's a list of names given for a class, there's no need to have a [CLASSMAP] entry for it. If it has no dedicated list of its own, an entry in [CLASSMAP] will tell Commander which existing list to use for it. Am I understanding it correctly?
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote