View Single Post
Old 12-14-10, 02:11 PM   #693
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Stiebler,

I have also thought about this a bit, but I am not sure how useful it is. The main reason is that in real-life you could use the explosions of the depth charges to use the pumps without getting detected. However, in SH3 there is no 'noise shadow' of the depth charges, so you cannot take advantage of this.

It would be great if the effect of the depth charge noise was modeled in SH3. However, I think adding this feature is a huge task (I think there is a variable that contains the probability that you are detected, however, I have no idea how to determine that a depth charge has exploded sufficiently close to the sub and then change this variable).

At the moment neither repairs nor running pumps do influence the probability that you are detected (really weired, you have a destroyer above you and you can repair diesels without getting detected ). It would be great if h.sie could fix this issue. In this case running the pumps (when you have flooding) would also increase the probability that you are detected

Having the 'noise shadow' of the depth charges and the noise of the pumps modeled would be definitely fine, however, I think it requires a lot work and also testing because it would change the whole sensor/detection setting (it might become too easy to evade ).

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote