View Single Post
Old 11-24-10, 02:43 PM   #595
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
The limitation to 0...15m/s is located on a different location in the code (at the very end) and so I also think this was a quick&dirty fix by the devs perhaps because with higher waves some unwanted side-effects occured.
It's difficult to tell why they would cap the wind speed at 15 knots. May be with higher limit the algorythm had a tendency to make weather even worse. May be they had no time to finish the job with the waves, but this seems rather improbable, since the "large" waves assigned to current 15 m/s wind are actually very large ones. In my opinion something did not work well with the algorythm, and they reduced windspeed to 15, then adapting the four sizes of waves to that range (0-15). Another telling element is the speed with which clouds move in the sky. With 15 m/s they are already rushing around, so it seems that indeed they simply adapted their maximum, originally planned fopr much harder winds, to 15 m/s and then scaled all the rest.

Quote:
Only problem with bypass wind restriction can be CTD if not waves stay the same as are, because stock file scene.dat have a setting for a winds:

0-3m/s - small ribblets
4-7m/s - small waves
8-14m/s - bigger waves
15m/s or more - moderate waves
That shouldn't be a problem even if no bigger waves are added to the scene.dat. The reason is that the waves are defined only with START wind speed, i.e. *from* a certain wind speed, a certain wave model is used, until the wind reaches a strength where the scene.dat has a different wave, and then the new one is used. If you do not add different waves for windspeeds >15 m/s, then the game will simply keep using the current 15 m/s wave. The only difference you would notice is in the speed with which clouds move in the sky, unless other effects (reduce your speed due to aerodynamics, increase drag, etc) are programmed, which I do not know right now.