View Single Post
Old 11-18-10, 03:48 AM   #100
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamutt View Post
Glad to hear. I was just testing what we have now on the FFG mission East Timor. It seems that the chopper IDs (hostile) and classifies the
hostile missle ships, but does not ID nor classify the yacht. I've noticed this before that sometimes it IDs/classifies contacts and sometimes
not. I'm linked with the helo and I've tried doing flybys with the setting on acoustic and also on radar (with REMRO on). Is there something
I'm missing here?
AI platforms don't report to the player what sensor they've detected a contact with. But the usual order for things on or above the surface is ESM, Radar, Passive Sonar, Visual. ESM and Passive can get you a classification before you get to visual. And you won't get ESM if that contact doesn't have a radar, if that radar is off, or if the radar doesn't cover the altitude the chopper is at.

Quote:
Yeah, Is there any plan to improve it or has it been realistically modeled this way?
It's not realistically modeled, but there is no plan to improve it. As far as I know this is a problem with the interface, and trying to solve it in the database will cause other problems.

Quote:
I have a couple ideas, but I don't know what we can do with the code so here goes.
-An active intercept would automatically show up as a passive sonar contact on the NAV map and be updated with every ping.
Won't work. Active sonar and active intercept have an inseparable relationship in the database.

Quote:
-Would it be possible for the torpedo to show up on the NAV map when it is within 1000-3000 yrds? Approximate position of a torpedo can be
deduced with active intercept so this would just be skipping the middle man and putting the info directly on the NAV map.
Actually this could be done by allowing the visual sensor to detect objects underwater. But there wouldn't be any way to exclude passive/wakehoming torpedoes, submarines, mines, etc. so that's a no-go.

Quote:
And do torpedos operate the same way as in Jane's 688(i)? They run at set speed, then enable and only after finding a target they accelerate to
max speed? Now with LWAMI, the passive washes out at 45kts, does a passive torp still accelerate to max speed or remain at set speed?
Damn, I feel rusty that I had to open up the doctrine file to answer this. Right now there are no speed changes in the doctrine in the 3-series. 4-series doctrines might be coming soon, so that could change. Even if it does, though, we won't program any acceleration into a passive torpedo that would wash it out.